Monday, July 30, 2007

Middle East Arms For Peace

First off, let me say I support the military. I even spent a year in baghdad with the Army, and over 4 years total in the Middle East.

But, I'm confused by this $20 billion dollar weapons deal with Saudi Arabia, the Gulf Emirates, Egypt, and Israel. The U.S. claims it is for defense systems, but unless the deal is exclusively for air defense systems, it could easily be used for other things. Are we selling military hardware and technology to nations we may one day meet on the battlefield?

I know the argument for supporting allies in the region, and Iran will always be there as a threat, but let's not forget in the Middle East the enemy of my enemy is my friend. When the chips are down, it's the U.S. and Israel against the rest of the region.


No comments: